Serves as one of the scientific counselors of The Modern Agriculture Foundation.
Prof. Abelson is a marine ecologist, focusing on assessment of human impact on the environment and search for solutions, like reserves and restoration ecology.
Prof. Abelson is an executive researcher at the department of Zoology, Tel-Aviv University.
|Period of study||Name of University||Subject||Degree||Date of award|
|1981-1984||The Hebrew University , Jerusalem||Biology||B.Sc.||1984|
|1985-1987||Tel Aviv University||Zoology - Marine Ecology||M.Sc. (with distinction)||1987|
|1987-1993||Tel Aviv University||Zoology - Marine Ecology||Ph.D. (with distinction)||1993|
|1993-1995||Stanford University , California , U.S.A.||Marine Ecology||postdoctoral study||-----|
Academic and Professional Awards
|Year||Name of Institution (city, country)|
|1986||Prof. H. Lewinsohn award for marine-biology students.|
|1997-2000||The U.S.-Israel Binational Science Foundation.|
|1997-2000||The Israel Science Foundation of the Israel Academy of Sciences.|
|1998||The Israel Science Foundation - Equipment Fund (“Academia Tziud”).|
|1999-2001||BMBF German-Israel Cooperation in Marine Sciences (MARS 2).|
|1999-2002||MERC (USAID) - the Red-Sea Marine Peace Park (RSMPP) Project.|
|2004-2006||Italy-Israel Environmental studies Foundation.|
|2001-2004||The U.S.-Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF).|
|2004-2006||USAID - Coral-reef study in Eritrea.|
|2005-2009||BMBF German-Israel Cooperation in Marine Sciences.|
Consultancy and Other Ex-Curriculum Environmental Activities
- Member of the "Marine Constructions for Artificial Reefs" Forum of the Ministry of the Environment.
- Member of a consultation committee of the Ministry of the Environment for the Environmental impact assessment of fish-cage farms in Eilat.
- Member of the thinking tank of The Heschel Center for Environmental Learning and Leadership.
- Coordinating academic committee of Nature Conservation (sub-committee of the board of governors of the Israeli Society for Nature Conservation).
- Organizing a “Marine Pollution Forum” of the Israeli "green associations".
- Consultant for the Ministry of the Environment, the Society for Nature Conservation, GreenPeace and “Adam Teva Ve-Din” in various marine and coastal issues.
- Environmental consultant of artificial-reef enterprise (" Divers Island ") in the Red Sea.